1.11.2011

thoughts on a handmade wedding

First of all let me say that for some reason I am really excited that it is 1.11.11. That is a lot of one's and I love the simplicity of it. It must mean good beginnings or something, right?

When we got engaged at the end of the summer I started sifting through all of the incredible wedding blogs, sites, inspiration, and confusion on the internet. There is some amazing stuff out there and it is inspiring and overwhelming at the same time. I knew right away that I wanted our wedding to have a "hand-made with love" feel and that diy would be our game plan all the way. What I wasn't prepared for was how vast that statement was and how bad I am at editing out my own thoughts and ideas.

Yesterday I logged onto one of our registries and let out a little gasp when the countdown number in the corner was a red blinking 96. Three months? That's it? Three months, ok, three months. It feels like yesterday that I posted this. Now we are 95 days out I am trying not to panic. Don't get me wrong, I feel like we have been truckin along, getting things done and crossing things off the list. The big items (dress, venue, food, desserts, and minister) are all out of the way. But to me it's all about the details. The little things that I want to obsess over and spend hours and hours creating. These past couple of snow days have left me with plenty of time to obsess. But seeing that 3 month mark has also made me step back a little and reflect- reflect on how far we've come as a couple and how far we've come in planning this day for ourselves and our loved ones.

One thing I have learned along the way is what I am and am not capable of taking on in this process. I am amazed out how diy I am and how much of this wedding is going to have our fingerprint on it. I am also seeing the things that are better left to an expert and learning that it is ok to hand over some of the load. (I am cringing as I type that). And just because I love lists and I hold blog control here, here are a few more::

What we can do:
  • Decorations- all of them and believe me there is a lot
  • Desserts- thanks to my talented friend and a few choice decorations by me
  • Invitations- I am in love with them, my husband to be has made these come together
  • Addressing invitations- I am teaching myself calligraphy...
  • A photo booth- I didn't think it was possible!
  • All the music
  • Favors- diy
  • Dress alterations and additions
  • Flowers
  • Writing a ceremony- ok we haven't actually done this yet
**When I say we here, that encompasses a whole team of family and friends, not just the two of us. We are very loved and blessed.

What I am giving over control of:
  • Food- this one hurt my heart a little. Catering is not on the top of my favorite wedding things.
  • Wedding dress- ok, that idea was a little ambitious
  • Hair accessories- I am still contemplating on this one but leaning towards ordering handmade off of etsy. I gotta know my crafting limits and this just might not be in my control
Well that was a short list, but I am sure there are plenty of other things that I am forgetting. Like the fact that we have amazing photographers lined up and two great friends to do the photobooth and some videography. Plus the rings, cupcake holders, straws, chalkboards, and numerous other goods I am/have ordered off of etsy. That site has been a godsend.

There is a lot of work left to be done, but it is all of those details that I thrive on. We will be busy from here on out and will no doubt be recruiting friends and family for more help along the way. My poor Dad will probably be terrified if he reads this. He thinks (knows) I can be a bit too ambitious at times. Don't worry Dad, I will recruit a cleaning crew and just hand you a good craft beer at the end of the night. I am getting excited. Three months.
image.

No comments: